Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Glenn Hwy, Matanuska Glacier, DNR Cabin



These are views from our dnr (Department of Natural Resources) cabin I rented way back in March. It was superb. Can you see the glacier in the background? In front, Charlie is stretching out a wet tent to dry. The flowers are Fireweed. Matanuska Glacier (22 miles long) viewed from our porch.Cris cooking dinner. What a deal! Chas does the dishes!Looking, always looking for wild animals: saw a great fox in the campground at Dawson. Oh, look here!!! We finally got close to some!!

It's a river otter!








oh!o!



Charlie has always gone for the best cooks!
What in the world is this creature? a musk-ox. Do you think they are related to a buffalo?
Caribou this , caribou that, but no caribou in our sightings yet.



For Amber: here is a creature you would not want in your belly: a glacier worm. If you enlarge the picture you can read an excerpt of Robert Service rendition of these nasty creatures.




Here is Chas looking, looking, and sometimes studing his new gps unit instead of looking.


This may be an example of a river flowing out of a glacier that is braided due to the deposition of the glacial silt on either side causing a curving motion and a intertwining of the river bed.





These last few are from the Glenn Hwy.
So far the most expensive gas was in Dawson: 3/4 of a tank for $119.50 and tonights Motel 8 for $143 plus taxes.









2 comments:

Keri said...

I LOVE this post.....I love the message to Amber...I did enlarge it! And I love your little cabin, and the pictures with all the stuffed animals. I miss you.

Sherrie said...

I LOVE that you are blogging and sharing your adventure with all of us at home ~ just the best! Hugs and kisses and prayers and appreciation! Sherrie