What a couple of nights in the campground. The annual music festival attended by all the kids in the Yukon Territory spent the white light of all night walking and talking back and forth in our campground area as they went or returned from musical delights, etc. We were very happy to get out of "Dodge" this morning.
Yesterday it was so rainy we threw our special trail permits to the Indian Reserve away and attended a demonstration of Dredge 4 on Bonanza Creek near some of the orginal strikes. Of course, it destroyed the environment but was 95 per cent successful in picking out the gold, or atleast that is what they told us. It was huge! They created a pond for it, built it, and then floated it down through the area they worked. This was swallowed up at one point and the state of Canada dug it out, which in it self was a engineering feat since they had to unthaw the 5 feet plus of ice stuck in its hull, and now it is a park relic. 

This morning we took off for Alaska over the Top of the World Highway which is mostly a dirt road over some wild country. We saw more wildlife in the campground than on this road. Couldn't believe we didn't spot something. 

We passed through the border. The boundary had been mistaken at some time so below is where we passed through immigrations, but below is the old boundary which was several miles away and you can see the American flag on one side and the Canadain flag on the other.
Wish I would have taken a picture of Chicken, Alaska. It was precious. Some how I did stop at the local post office and it was so cute both Chas and I posed.

This is our third night in a motel (the best one in Tok, Alaska as a matter of fact) since we left the States, with the exception of the preplanned night in Glacier Bay. One night out of all of the nights we have camped it did not rain. Tomorrow night we will experience the first night in a dnr cabin at the top of the Matanuska Glacier. It will be not so remote as some of the other cabins, and I understand it even has a microwave. Sounds like a first class place for us.
1 comment:
I like the post office, too!
Hope you have some microwave popcorn to stick in that microwave!
I dropped Kali off at camp today. I feel a bit lost.
Post a Comment