Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Skagway and the Summit Excursion Train

Hello to all of you. Daddy, you will love the pictures I took today of the Robert Service's and Jack London's cabins here in Dawson. We have to take the ferry to get across to our camp ground. Yesterday 3 bags of ice cost $9.00. This morning we were basking in sun light. I had to get my sun glasses out. I suppose I have worn them less than 5 hours since I left MT! Today I have nothing on my arms. Hooray!


These are left over pictures from the Mendenhall Glacier near Juneau.

The hike was a little too steep and too rocky for my man: skidding on his bu-- is not his thing.

Here goes for Skagway. What a delightful tourist town. The gold miners left here for Dawson by the Chilcoot trail or White Pass. They had to carry a ton of provisions over the top because the Monties would not let them into the Yukon otherwise. Therefore, most made 10-40 trips before they made boats on this side to float there goods down the Yukon River to Dawson. Presently there are 1200 residents here and in the height of the gold rush 60,000. 36 million dollars was deposited in the mint----making this the most recent U




Slept in the truck the first night.
Soapy Smith was the terror sheriff in lawless Skagway. He was finally shot by Frank Reid. He was not allowed to be buried in the local cemetery. The pistol he kept up his sleeve was on display in the local museum.
The famous Mascot bar.
Charlie in front of the brothel.A host of different bedpans: little to cold to go outside.Skagway Summit Excusion over the White Mountain Pass









Thank Goodness this was replaced before we arrived.

Our cell phones do not work in the Yukon.

No comments: