Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Will We Catch a King Salmon?

Hi you all,

As we sat this morning in our motel we were conversing with others and decided we better get the heck out of "dodge" because the king salmon run would officially end the end of July and we would be obligated in Fairbanks until the 5th of August. Therefore, we flew by the seat of our pants, called guide services, and nesting services, and obtained a couple of days on the Kenai River with guides and a B & B, and drove down onto the Kenai Pennisula and are ready to wake up by 5 and be on the River by 6 fishing for king {(chinook, saw one at 58lbs)} salmon. Fishing license for out of state are $145 and then a tag , $10 for each King, and only one a day and only two from this particular river. Naturally, Charlie is just excited. We probably will have to come back to this area, and down to Homer, so that we can go out and catch Halibut in the seas during August when the season is at its heights. We do plan to invite you all to join us in a fish dinner for this $500 per ounce catch.

Driving into the Kenai this noon showed mountains skirting the roads covered with snow. Of course, it was raining, foggy, and low clouds hovering everywhere. I'll wear two pairs of long underwear (one silk, one polypropoline) tomorrow, one pair of hiking, rain resistant pants, and take a pair of rain pants plus two underwear tops, one cashmere sweater, one jacket plus a rain jacket. Hope I can walk/fish!

Our XM radio has been mostly worthless, really thought we were in the sticks, but once more we have satellite, and wifi in our little B&B. We spent two hours in Accupointing this AM so Charlie could have them download half of the US into his new gps unit. I can get points but I can't map myself on a hike yet so that I can return to the starting point. I am beginning to have difficulty keeping all of the electronic gear separated, and sometimes we have no clue what is beeping. This AM I plugged in the computer and the motel's fire beeper went off. It was a toasted muffin in the kitchen but it woke up he hotel--!

I am going for the first fish, Charlie can have the biggest! Or maybe we will be satisfied with just any!

Live, Love, Laugh, Hug, Exercise and Be Healthy,

Crissy and Charlie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who cares if it is first or biggest.....I want some of the yummiest one! Are you going to be ready for a tropical vacation when you get home?
Keri