Monday, August 25, 2008

A Bear of a Problem!



The photo below captures a disturbing trend that is beginning to affect wildlife in the US .

Animals that were formerly self-sufficient are now showing signs of belonging to the
Democratic Party... as they have apparently learned to just sit and wait for the government
to step in and provide for their care and sustenance!









Charlie and Crissy think John McCain should choose Condolezza Rice as his running mate. She is certainly qualified to take over the United States of America ; this country that we love!









Condoleezza Rice
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Condoleezza Rice

66th United States Secretary of State
Incumbent
Assumed office January 26, 2005
President
George W. Bush
Deputy
Richard Armitage (2005)Robert Zoellick (2005-2006)John Negroponte (2007-)
Preceded by
Colin Powell
20th United States National Security Advisor
In officeJanuary 20, 2001January 26, 2005
President
George W. Bush
Deputy
Stephen Hadley
Preceded by
Sandy Berger
Succeeded by
Stephen Hadley
Provost of Stanford University
In office1993 – 1999
Preceded by
Gerald J. Lieberman
Succeeded by
John L. Hennessy
Born
November 14, 1954 (1954-11-14) (age 53)Birmingham, Alabama
Political party
Republican
Alma mater
University of DenverUniversity of Notre Dame
Profession
Professor, Provost, Diplomat, Politician
Religion
Presbyterian
Condoleezza Rice (born November 14, 1954) is the 66th United States Secretary of State, and the second in the administration of President George W. Bush to hold the office. Rice is the first black woman, second African American (after her predecessor Colin Powell, who served from 2001 to 2005), and the second woman (after Madeleine Albright, who served from 1997 to 2001 in the Clinton Administration) to serve as Secretary of State. Rice was President Bush's National Security Advisor during his first term. Before joining the Bush administration, she was a professor of political science at Stanford University where she served as Provost from 1993 to 1999. During the administration of George H.W. Bush, Rice served as the Soviet and East European Affairs Advisor during the dissolution of the Soviet Union and German reunification.
When beginning as Secretary of State, Rice pioneered a policy of Transformational Diplomacy, with a focus on democracy in the greater Middle East. Her emphasis on supporting democratically elected governments faced challenges as Hamas captured a popular majority in Palestine yet supported Islamist terror, and influential countries including Saudi Arabia and Egypt maintained authoritarian systems with US support. She chairs the Millennium Challenge Corporation's board of directors.[1]














THE BEARS AND I
Black bears typically have two cubs, rarely one or three. In 2007, in northern New Hampshire, a black bear sow gave birth to five healthy young. There were two or three reports of sows with as many as four cubs but five was, and is, extraordinary. I learned of them shortly after they emerged from their den and set myself a goal of photographing all five cubs with their mom, no matter how much time and effort was involved. I knew the trail they followed on a fairly regular basis, usually shortly before dark. After spending nearly four hours a day, seven days a week, for six weeks I had that once in a lifetime opportunity and photographed them in the shadows and dull lighting of the evening. Due to these conditions the photograph is a bit noisy as I had to use the equivalent of a very fast film speed on my digital camera. The print is properly focused and well exposed with all six bears posing as if they were in a studio for a family portrait. (Read on….)
I stayed in touch with other people who saw the bears during the summer and into the fall hunting season. All six bears continued to thrive. As time for hibernation approached, I found still more folks who had seen them and everything remained OK. I stayed away from the bears as I was concerned that they might become habituated to me, or to people in general, as approachable friends. This could be dangerous for both man and animal. After Halloween I received no further reports and could only hope the bears survived until they hibernated.
This spring, before the snow disappeared, all six bears came out of their den and wandered the same familiar territory they trekked in the spring of 2007. I saw them before mid April and dreamed nightly of taking another family portrait, an improbable second once in a lifetime photograph. On April 25, 2008 I achieved my dream. (Read on …)
When something as magical as this happens between man and animal Native Americans say, "We have walked together in the shadow of a rainbow."
And so it is with humility and great pleasure that I share these photos with you.
Sincerely, Tom Sears

2 comments:

Sherrie said...

love all the bears and how it's all woven and wonderful :)

condoleeza has a bit of a bear look herself now that i think about it ;)

The Wades said...

love these! condoleeza would have been a great choice.