Thursday, August 7, 2008

Fairbanks, North Pole, Nenana, Chena River Cabin

This is the Chena River Cabin. Did I mention that none of these cabins have running water or an indoor privy. Can you find the picture that helps senior adjust to such conditions?
The Chena river was overflowing its banks on down the river due to the excess rain. It wasn't really muddy. It is a catch and release stream for artic grayling. I saw a couple of big artic char roll over but have not caught one yet. Charlie has been very involved with trying to located black diamond willow for his Fairbanks walking stick. We spent one whole day in the swamping forest looking for what we thought were budding, then frozen, bebb willows, but now we find it is actually a fungus that cause the twigs to fall off, creating a diamond shape, but not killing the willow, and 6 spieces exist. Hopefully we will bring one home. The weather has been just not perfect for fishing----hands get to cold and we have the perfect stream.The first morning we woke up and took these pictures out of our kitchen window. Mama and her calf were having breakfast with us.

That afternoon I got all dolled up for a fishing experience, was out on the river minding my own business, when Mama showed up again, I yelled for Charlie, but had to return on a different path and fish up river. I did finally catch a grayling the next night.









This town is 30 miles or so south of Fairbanks. Below is a picture of flooding that had not occurred in this town since 67, the year I graduated from college.


Of course, we could not come to this country without sending the grandchildren a card from the North Pole. Santa is looking a little old and his memory is not quite what it used to be.



Some of you have asked if Charlie caught a fish. He wanted to make sure I told you before he got home that he did not (that way you wouldn't have to ask him face to face! men, hee, hee). He fished up until the last moment the first day in the miserable weather. The second day he fished from 6 until 5, the weather was much better, and they had fun but he did not catch any fish. I am not going halibut fishing, but I am certainly sending him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mama... sounds like you are having a much better time! You look very cute all gussied up in your fishin' duds. :)

I got my birthday book... thank you! Will put it to good use this weekend.

Love you!

Keri said...

I agree....I like the picture with you all dressed up to fish. Miss you so so much.
k