Thursday, August 21, 2008

Valdez and the Alaska Highway to Dawson Creek

Yesterday had it's high points and it's low points. After the excitement of talking to my kids about the Thanksgiving Holiday ---somehow my truck keys got tangled in the bed spread and left in Dawson City. Then, to top that off, when I made reservations for Jasper Alberta---knowing a Jasper, Alabama, existed, I did not double check them, and so last night when we arrived we found that the Days Inn did not exist. My lifesaver daughter, Jeni, straightened Priceline out and they cancelled ----and the cheapest thing in town was $235, and it had stopped raining so we spent the night in the campground at $27.50 for a campsite. But, WOW, there were real toilets, and hot running water. Who could ask for anything more?
Here we are in Valdez on a short hike on a short spit, followed by some scenery views.
In 1964, Valdez had a major earthquake (9.2) that caused a tsunami that leveled the city. They rebuilt it mile or so away. Charlie was interested in what was left: I found the bald eagle and was within about 20-30 feet of him which really excited me.














Well, this is Cris, blogging, on the Border between Canada and Alaska while Chas is asleep in the tent.


We were really excited about this spot: Liard Hot Springs. It was a hot spot. I had never been to a natural hot springs and this was absolutely gorgeous, that is until the next morning. . . when the wind started to blow and all of a sudden, our tent was practically on top of us and then it would rise and do it again. Needless to say, we were out and on the road by 6:00 AM.






As soon as we entered Canada we started seeing a lot of animals: tons of deer, some elk, buffalo, dall sheep (camouflaged) and bear.













3 comments:

Keri said...

It looks cold with all the mist hanging on the mountains.
The hot springs looked like fun.
If Charlie was asleep while you were blogging, who took the picture of you? love ya...
miss you....
and VERY excited about Hawaii!!

Anonymous said...

Hi girlfriend: You should be in Banff by now. Are you? The pictures of the wild animals were wonderful, but I can't say the same for the weather. You're going to need lots of sun by the time you get home. I think of you and Chas daily, and can't wait to see you.
Love and hugs, Juanita

The Wades said...

Great pictures! My husband and I went to Alaska via a cruise. That was a mistake. We did not get to see near enough of the beautiful country trapped in that boat.

It looks like you are having a wonderful time. Great for you!

I found your blog from Keri's. (love that Keri!) I tried to comment one other time, but could not find how. Happy to have a place to blab away now! ;)

Have a safe and fun rest of your adventure.